Fife is situated between the Firth of Tay and the Firth of Forth. The historic town of St. Andrews is located on the north east coast of Fife. It is well known for one of the most ancient universities in Europe and is renowned as the home of golf. St. Andrews university was founded in 1413 and now has a student community from over 100 nations. The game of golf has been played on the links at St. Andrews since around 400AD. St. Andrews has long been a resort for royalty and Mary Queen of Scots made several visits to play golf in the 16th century. The Open Championship is held here every summer. The cathedral was visited by many pilgrims throughout the middle ages. It is open to the public and looked after by Historic Scotland.
Dunfermline is a large town in Fife and the former capital of Scotland. The ruins of Dunfermline palace are an important tourist attraction. All that remains of the palace today is the kitchen and the impressive south wall. Falkland palace has been a royal palace since the days of the Stewarts. Mary Queen of Scots was a frequent visitor here enjoying the peace away from the politics of Edinburgh. The Royal burgh of Falkland became Scotland\'s first conservation village. It includes a thatched building dating back to the 1600\'s. There is an exhibition of the burgh in the restored town hall.
Kirkcaldy is a town of the east coast. The town is a conservation area. Kirkcaldy museum and art gallery is the main museum and holds a large collection of paintings by Scottish artists. The museum has an exhibition covering the towns heritage.
Glenrothes is a large town in the heart of Fife. The most prominent landmark is the river Leven bridge which towers over the riverside park. At Balfarg, north east of the town, is a prehistoric monument and contains the remnants of a stone circle which has been partially reconstructed.